I want to take the time to welcome all of my new readers! To shake things up a bit, I figured I’d share a few random facts about myself so that everyone can get to know me better!
Most of you know the basic facts:
- My name is Nike, pronounced nee-kay.
- I’m half Nigerian, half American.
- I have two boys, ages 4 and 8.
- I’ve been married for ten years.
- I’m a homeschool mom.
- I’m an M.Ed who makes educational resources.
Now, it’s time to share some “not-so-basic” fun facts about the woman sitting behind the computer screen. Some of these may surprise you. To keep things neutral, I Googled “100 questions to ask people.” Google hit me with this VERY random list of questions. I’ll share fifty of them today! Here goes:
1. Where do you consider “home” to be?
Definitely Rhode Island, where I was born and raised. However, I’ve been a Georgian for nearly eleven years now.
2. Do you believe in ghosts?
3. Are you religious?
No. I’m one of those “cooky” people that find the term restrictive. I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God, died for our sins, and defeated death by rising three days later. I don’t live my life by laws, but by faith.
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?
I would love to visit Egypt.
5. If you could have dinner with any of the presidents, who would you choose? Why?
Since this is just for fun, I’ll say I would’ve loved to have dinner with JFK if I were living during his presidency. Why? Because he seemed to be a fountain of wisdom. My favorite quote from him? The one from the 1961 address to the United Nations, “Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.”
6. What is your dream job?
I always wanted to be a New York Times best-selling author.
7. Who is your role model? Why?
My role model is my mom. She has so many characteristics I aspire to. She’s beautiful, intelligent, loyal, strong, talented, humble, encouraging, and generous.
8. Do you prefer Coke or Pepsi?
9. Do you prefer Cheetos or Doritos?
10. Do you eat breakfast in the morning?
Yes. One of my favorite meals is a spinach omelet…with cheese, of course.
11. When you go to the beach, do you sunbathe or swim more?
I prefer to get into the water. No sunbathing, here. I’ve got loads of melanin, haha. 😊
12. Have you ever ridden a city bus before?
All the time. When I was a teenager, I rode the city bus all over Providence. In fact, I took the city bus every day to get to school.
13. Have you ever traveled outside of the country? If so, where?
Yes. I’ve visited 5 countries—England, France, Spain, Nigeria, and the Netherland’s. Some of the cities I visited were London, Bath, Stratford Upon Avon, Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Amsterdam, and Lagos.
14. If you got arrested, what do you think it would be for?
I don’t like imagining these types of situations.
15. What is your favorite childhood memory?
I remember my mother helping me get ready for a play that I starred in when I was in elementary school. While doing my hair and makeup, we had some good laughs. When everything was all said and done, she told me I looked beautiful. It was the first time I considered that it might possibly be true—that I was beautiful.
16. What was your favorite song two years ago? What is it now?
Hmmmm. Two years ago, I loved the song “Victor’s Crown” by Darlene Zschech. Anytime I got a moment alone, I would bellow this song out in the car. These days, my favorite song is “Holy Spirit” by Jesus Culture.
17. What teacher have you had that’s made the biggest impact on your life? How?
Shout out to Ms. Latessa, my former elementary school teacher. She planted the seed for my love of writing. She was the first person to tell me I was a great writer.
18. Are you a cat person or a dog person?
If I had to choose, I’d say I’m more of a dog person. Truthfully, I LOVE both!
19. What is a quote from any movie that you know off the top of your head?
“If you want to be somebody. If you want to go somewhere. You’d better wake up and pay attention,” from Sister Act II.
20. What are you most afraid of?
I try not to meditate on my fears.
21. If superheroes were real, who would you want to protect your city?
Black Panther. He has access to the strongest metal in the world.
22. What is the silliest reason you’ve ever cried?
Someone forgot to wash my son’s face. He was three at the time, I just had a new baby, and I accused my family (who was helping us) of neglecting him while I was asleep. I blame it on the hormones. I did apologize to them, though.
23. If you could be a character on any show, what show would you choose? Why?
And here’s where I admit that I don’t watch TV. Back in the day, it would’ve been The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
24. You’re stuck on an island with no way off and no one knows you’re there, what three items do you have with you?
Again, I don’t like imagining up negative hypothetical situations.
25. What is the name of one song you know all the words to?
One song most people would probably be shocked I know (and love!) is “You’re the One That I Want,” from Grease.
26. Are you a sore loser?
No. You can always learn from failure.
27. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed?
28. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees?
You already know I’m not going to answer this.
29. What is your biggest pet peeve?
Water on the floor. I hate touching it with my unsuspecting bare feet.
30. Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some?
Wouldn’t you like to know, haha. 😊
31. Would you ever strip or pose nude for a photo in a magazine? For a movie?
32. What has been your best Halloween costume thus far?
When I was a little girl, my mom made me the most beautiful Belle costume. Beauty and the Beast was my favorite Disney movie at the time.
33. Are you stubborn?
Yes. I’m working on it, though.
34. Do you sing in the shower? In the car?
Totally. I sing in both! Just ask the driver in the car next to me at the stop light.
35. Do you take vitamins daily?
Daily, no. Regularly, yes.
36. Have you ever cried because you were so happy?
Yes. On my wedding day (and on everyone else’s wedding day). I also have kids who do adorable things, so happy tears are a regular thing for me.
37. Can you swim without plugging your nose?
38. Have you ever won a contest?
Yes. A very nerdy one when I was a kid. I had to belt-out facts about the history of Thanksgiving in front of the entire school on a stage full of contenders. I knew EVERY single fact, lol.
39. Do you want kids? How many?
Yes, I want kids. I already have two beautiful, fun-loving boys.
40. Are you missing anyone right now?
Yes. My Rhode Island family and my five siblings. If you’re reading this, call me.
41. Do you smile at strangers as you walk by them?
I’m going to say no. Unless I make eye contact with them.
42. Do you think your life will change drastically before 2020?
I hope so. The only thing constant is change.
43. How do you react when people talk badly about you?
I honestly don’t know when people talk badly about me, which is a good thing because what they think about me is none of my business.
44. Where did you get the shirt you are currently wearing?
I’m wearing a tunic and I got it from Goodwill for fifty cents.
45. What has been your favorite gift you’ve been given?
I can’t speak on favorites, but a memorable one was from my college friend. She gave me an inexpensive clutch bag with laminated inserts where she wrote out a ton of our favorite memories together. I still have it to this day and read through it sometimes.
46. If you had to delete one year out of your life completely, which would you choose?
I wouldn’t delete any of it. Everything, good and bad, made me the woman I am today. So cliche, right? But it’s true.
47. What is your favorite thing about school?
Grade school is a distant memory for me, but my favorite thing about school was homework. I loved worksheets!
48. Is there something that happened in your past that you hate talking about?
No. I’m transparent about my past. It is my testimony that helps bring hope to others.
49. Who was the last person you were on the phone with?
50. Do you get jealous easily?
Yes. But I don’t stay jealous for long. I’ve learned strategies to conquer the green-eyed monster whenever it threatens to steal my joy. Perhaps I’ll write a future post about it.
(EDIT: Read 12 Ways I Overcame Jealousy)
That concludes my list. Did any of these surprise you? Can you relate to any of my answers? Don’t be shy! Let us know in the comments!